Thursday, August 9, 2018

Mystery of the Week: The Big Empty

You will have to wait until December for The Big Empty, but it's worth the wait.
 
Greetings, mystery readers and friends! I know there are people who didn't think Coffee Light would be back in this decade -- and at times I was one of them -- but I've gotten my mystery writing inspiration back. I've also gotten my mystery reading inspiration going and I've finished four mysteries in the last month. I realized they're too good not to share and here's the first of what I hope will be a weekly recommendation for your mystery reading, The Big Empty by Stan Jones and Patricia Watts. 
 
I had the good fortune to attend BookExpo2018 and spend time with the gracious and erudite staff at Soho Press. They shared a number of titles with me and the Big Empty is the first of those that I've read. The detective is Nathan Active, police chief of Chukchi, Alaska. Chukchi is set in the world of bush planes and mountains, the Big Empty of Alaska. The story is well put together, the characters are detailed and interesting and the setting was a new world to me. The book will be published in December, but I had the good fortune to have an advanced copy. Don't despair at the time waiting for publication. The next few months are a great time to catch up on the first four books in the series.
 
Next week we're going back in time and to a different continent. Please be on the lookout for the next Mystery of the Week.
 
Happy reading!
 
Please note: I received a copy of the Big Empty in return for my thoughts. The opinions are all mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment