Tuesday, September 8, 2020

I Discovered Vera Stanhope

 


I'm not sure where I've been for the last twenty years. Ann Cleeves published the first Vera Stanhope mystery, The Crow Trap, in 1999. The television shows based on this series began in 2011, and I missed all of them. I did read a number of books in the Shetland series, as well as seeing some of the television episodes and I am an enormous fan of Jimmy Perez, the police inspector who is the main character. I've also read The Long Call, which was published last year. It introduces Detective Matthew Venn, and it is well worth a separate post of its own. But somehow I missed my introduction to Vera Stanhope. 

Thanks to my friends at Net Galley, I received a copy of the Darkest Evening and literally read most of Saturday and then finished the book on Sunday. I can't remember when I've read a book virtually non-stop and didn't commit the crime of skipping to the end. In The Darkest Evening Vera returns to her extended family's estate and the countryside surrounding it. A young woman is found dead in the snow and as the investigation of her murder proceeds we meet most of the village and discover many not-so-well hidden secrets.   

I particularly enjoyed getting to know Vera Stanhope and learning her story. Vera is an eccentric workaholic Detective Inspector and we come to understand how Vera entered police work and the source of her personality. I am now totally engaged in the series and look forward to catching up on the books that I've missed. I generally wouldn't start with the most recent in a series, but better late than never. I'm very pleased to share The Darkest Evening today, which is its publication day in the United States. 

If you're interested in learning more about Ann Cleeves, please visit the link for The Long Call above. It links to a very interesting interview with Lori Rader-Day in the Chicago Review of Books. 

I appreciate the comments over the last few months asking about my welfare and I hope I've properly responded to all of them. I've been well -- thankfully -- and cozy, especially during the worst months of March through May. Honestly, I've been lonely, like so many others, and all the Zooms and virtual tours on the internet don't make up for spending time with friends and family.  I hope you're all well, cozy and reading.

As ever, thanks for visiting and wishing you many happy hours of mysteries.     

12 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting and I do love a good mystery book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We watch Vera on Acorn. And The Darkest Evening sounds very interesting - especially since it goes into her character. I will look for it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked cleeves shetland books a lot,and I definition stan jimmy Perez. But vera, particularly in the tv series, nooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these and am tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Vera on my watch list. I read "The Long Call" earlier this year and really liked it. I hope it's the first Matthew Venn book -- the characters seem like they could have "long lives." OK -- following this one now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SEPT. 25TH

    Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. Thus, I have found both your regular blog, and this one!!!! Reading suggestions!!!! Oh yes!!!!!!!!!!!! ~smile~

    We have recently *discovered* Vera on the television! Now, we watch every Sat. night. 1st Keeping up Appearance 2nd Midsommer Murders 3rd Death In Paradise 4th Vera.

    Both of us, would probably like to read this book!!!! So thank you very much.

    Again, thank you for all reading suggestions!!!! ~smile~

    Oh and enjoyed watching 'Shetland' but was so sorry to find that they are not showing any more programs.

    🍁✨🍂✨🌼✨🍂✨🍁

    ReplyDelete
  7. The darkest evening seems like my kind of book although my friends think I m slightly morbid. So glad to see your blog up again, I dropped in a few times and wondered if you were still on your trip with a container of books! Keep safe, I am trying to learn how to live in the NEW NORM

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to getting this when it's available for download from my library. I have read all the others in the series, but haven't read any of the Shetlands or the new one. I have listened to a couple of radio dramas based on the former and she has a short story collection which contains stories with Vera and Perez. She also has a couple of older mystery series, one about a bird watching couple and one with Inspector Ramsay. I am not sure they are in print, but my library had e-book versions at one time, so I was able to read them that way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not read one of her books but love the Vera show that is on Britbox. My favorite is Louise Penny right now.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't even know about the books. Was late to discovering the television series. Have seen several episodes, all out of order, and really like the show and the character. Would definitely like to read the books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love her books! And I love the "old-fashioned" fonts they are usually set in.

    ReplyDelete