Monday, February 24, 2020

What I'm Reading on My Winter Vacation

Not surprisingly, Ian Rankin

I'm off tomorrow on a quick winter vacation and, of course, I've got a mystery novel with me. Somehow I missed Ian Rankin's In a House of Lies when it came out in 2018, but luckily found it when I was looking for books to take with me on the library website. It's not my only book, but it's the one that I plan to read on the plane tomorrow. 

 How do you find new books to read? Do you browse the library shelves? I do! I still enjoy spending time looking at the array of books at my local branch library. It's one of my favorite things to do. Until very recently I didn't know that the "open stacks" library system wasn't part of libraries until the beginning of the Twentieth century. Before that it was necessary to know what book you wanted and to request it from the librarian. 

I also find read reviews online, browse my terrific local independent bookstore and read the NY Times book review. What are your favorite ways to find new books?  

Another favorite way to find new books is to chat with friends. Dear book-loving friends, what are you reading these days? 

As ever, thanks for visiting and happy reading!

6 comments:

  1. I go to the library and old used book stores just to enjoy looking around at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have pretty good luck with pinterest suggestions. I just finished The Lost Girls of Paris and now am on Ann Pachett's new one The Dutch House (so far that's my favorite of the two). I forget to check your book blog, I will do better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fine friend to accompany you on your winter vacation - a good mystery book. When I was a girl (that's ages ago), I read almost all of Agatha Christie's books. I will definitely read some of the books you posted, love mysteries too. I find my books through reviews in Google or newspapers, and through my cousin as we have similar tastes. Now I have your blog as a reference. Goody. Although I like the feel of a good book in my hands, I prefer to read using Kindle now as I can adjust the font size. Happy Vacation-ing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the moment I am reading Book of the Night by Oliver Potzsch. I choose my books based on the synopsis of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog and it's so interesting! Why haven't you posted since February? Hope all is well.💖

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Buttercup, a thank you for visiting me at Marmelade Gypsy and delighted to find a fellow mystery fan. I tend to pick most of my mysteries Brit and just got my first two Ian Rankins. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete